keskiviikko 6. huhtikuuta 2016

I kveld med Vegek

What would you do if you were a Norwegian comedian with a weekly talk show on tv, but suddenly had a double booking you couldn't get out of? Well, every other person in Norway already has a Polish gardener and a Polish plumber, so naturally you decide to go look for substitute talkshow hosts in Poland.

That's at least what Bård and Vegard Ylvisåker did. In September 2015 they announced that they will be holding auditions in Warsaw to find substitutes for themselves and their sidekick Calle to host an episode of I kveld med Ylvis the following spring. Dozens of hopefuls showed up, but only three were chosen: Radosław Zalewski as "Bårdek", Jacek Czaja as "Vegek" and Dandris Jordan as "Callek".

Ylvis and Ylvek (source)

Radosław and Dandris both worked in entertainment before, but Jacek was a policeman, and as it turns out, an Ylvis fan like us. Except he also happens to be the perfect Polish Vegard Ylvisåker. We're naturally all curious to know everything about his experience of working with Ylvis. So I sent him an e-mail and asked him about it.

Tell us about yourself. Who is Jacek Czaja? 

I am 35 years old, born and raised in Poland in a city of Czestochowa. I have two younger brothers: Mateusz who is 27 years old, and Filip who in 15 years old. My father is the owner of a construction company and my mum is an artist-painter. For the last 8 years I've been married, and I have one child, a 9-month-old son Julian.  I work as a policeman.

I notice you'’ve studied photography. Have you worked as a photographer? What else have you studied/worked with?

After graduating from junior high in Poland, my parents sent me to Red Hook High School in New York State USA to get my general education and to learn English. I was 16 years old and I took part in an exchange student program. I lived there with American family, very nice people.  I graduated in 1999.  Then I went back to Poland where I worked in my dad's company, but after a few years I decided that I would like to visit USA once again, so I moved to Palm Desert California where I got my degree from the Community College in Art-Photography. Unfortunately I couldn't afford university in the US (it's really expensive), so I went back home.

In Poland I worked for my dad again, but after one year I decided that I want to travel again. This time I moved to Southampton England where I worked for a year at "SpecSavers" the eye glasses Company. Then my father needed me at home, so I went back to Poland to help him. I got my backhoe loader license and worked for him for a while.

Then I decided that I will stop my travels, establish family of my own and get a full-time job that has some prestige. I always wanted to be a policeman so I decided that I will try, and in 2008 I became a policeman. While I was working as police I also attempted state college in Czestochowa city, and after three years I got my Bachelor's Degree in English Philology.

Do you have hobbies?

Yes in my free time if I have some, I like to watch movies and play PS4 games, but lately I really don't have free time, anyone who has small child at home will understand what I mean. 

Have you performed on stage before? 

Only when I was a child I performed school plays etc. Never anything professional.

Have you ever dreamed about a career in entertainment?

I am this type of person who always wanted to achieve more then "normal", "regular" people, I always wanted to amaze my parents, people around me, prove to myself and to others that I can do anything, and anything is possible, so yes.

The Audition


Were you an Ylvis fan before going to the audition?

Yes, I became an Ylvis fan instantly after my colleague Adrian (the other cop from casting) showed me at work "What does the fox say" on YouTube. After I saw that video I started checking out the rest of Ylvis songs and "I kveld med Ylvis" show, and I became real 100% fan.

Why did you decide to go to the audition?

I remember that I was at home watching morning TV, and suddenly I saw Ylvis brothers on Polish TV announcing that today in about 3 hours they will be casting for their show. The casting was in Warsaw, which is over 200 km from my hometown. I screamed to my wife "look Ylvis is in Poland! the casting is today..." She joked that I should go there, and I said sure but I wasn't really thinking that.

Then I called Adrian and I told him that Ylvis is right now in Polish TV. Then I went to his house for a cup of coffee. When I went to his apartment, he told me that we must go to the casting, I told him that I don't know if this is such a great idea, I have a plans with my wife already, Warsaw is far away it will take us half of the day to drive there, take part in casting and then come back. But on the other hand I really wanted to go there, at least to see Ylvis, talk with them, maybe take a picture together.

Then I called my wife and asked her if I can go, she told me that I am too old for this kind of shit, there will be lots of younger, better looking, more talented  guys and I don't stand a chance, so I said  I am going anyway. She was pissed off but I knew that she will be OK if she will stay alone with Julian for a half of a day, so I went.

Jacek and Adrian at the audition. (source: Jacek Czaja)

What was the audition day and the situation like?

First of all it was a really hot day. While we were driving to Warsaw my car broke, something happened with the computer. Sometimes that happens when it's really hot outside, and I lost acceleration. My car can usually accelerate to 100km/h in 8 seconds, but now my acceleration was like 25 seconds. I swear that is the truth, you can ask Adrian, I thought that we will not make it to the audition. But after 3 hours we were there. I was stressed like crazy. All the way to Warsaw we were talking about what we will do when we see Ylvis, what we will tell them.

Finally when we got there we were so stressed that I couldn't even speak, seriously. I couldn't write down my signature on the questionnaire. Then we entered the stage: I was extremely stressed, but at the same time also very happy to see them and talk with them. They let us take a pictures together and even made short movie for my wife. I already felt like a champion and I was going home proud of myself.

What happened after you found out you had been chosen as Vegek?

Well because I was over 200 km away from home, the Polish woman who was some sort of manager told me that I can drive back home, and if I will be chosen they will call me in a few hours (around 05:00 pm). All the way back I was so exited, I mean I saw Ylvis, I talked with them, I got a selfie, everything went the way I hoped, they even made a video message for my wife so she would not get angry with me.

Around 05:00 pm I was almost at home. I was checking my cell phone all the time and I was waiting and waiting and waiting some more... At 05:05 I gave up, I said to myself it is 5 minutes past deadline, they must have chosen somebody else, dammit!

Next I went to do some shopping, and when I was at the cash-register I saw my phone ringing, an unknown number. I picked up and the Polish woman that I mentioned earlier said I had been chosen. I asked her what about Adrian but she said that only me. That sucks I thought to myself but what else could I do. I couldn't believe that they chose me. I thought this is not happening, this is unreal! It felt like I just won a lottery! I was shocked, for the first time in my life I actually won something! (I know this whole my excitement sounds a little bit silly because I am a cop and I acted like a child, but every Ylvis fan should understand me).

I should mention that when I came back home, my wife wasn't angry at me any more. She was smiling and said that I am really an idiot if I thought that I will win. Than I told her that they just called me and I won!!!! She was in shock, she could not believe me, instantly she was proud of me. I was laughing as hard as possible, I think my entire neighborhood could hear it. I was laughing, screaming and smiling at the same time.

How did your boss and coworkers react when you told them you are going to quit your job and go to Norway to be a comedian?

It wasn't like that. I was planning to quit the police for at last a few years. I just needed a good push to do this. When I got to police I was young (26) and very naive. I thought that in this type of job the most important is to be fair, obedient, hardworking, to follow orders etc. After 5 years I noticed that only policemen with good connections are getting promotions, better positions with better salary. I had no connections in the police, no family members there so I was stuck in a same place. I was fine with this until I became a father 9 months ago. The money I was making in police wasn't enough to support my family. That was a main reason why I wanted to change my occupation.  Meeting Ylvis and winning casting was a great opportunity to change my life.

Ylvis and Calle posing with Jacek's mother's painting. (source: Jacek Czaja)

Your mother painted a beautiful picture of Ylvis. Is she a big fan?

Thanks, I am glad you like it. My mom is an artist. She has her masters in art. Her father was also a painter, so I guess she got her talent with the DNA. She wasn't a fan of Ylvis, but now she is. When she heard that I am going to see and work with such famous people, she decided that I should bring a gift. I guess she was thankful that they chose me and are giving me this opportunity to change my life.

Working with Ylvis


What are Bård, Vegard, Calle and Magnus like behind the scenes?

I have to say that I have never met nicer people, seriously. All the time we spent together, everyone was so nice, supportive, helpful, and we were joking all the time, all day everyday. If we needed anything, we just had to ask and they got it for us. I love them all and miss them.

Did you spend time with them outside work?

We really didn't have that much free time to spend together. After a whole day of shooting, everyone was so tired that we wanted to just go to the hotel, eat, relax and prepare for the next day. People don't realize that what you see in TV, let's say 3 minutes of prank, it really takes at least 4 hours to make it. You record 4 hours of stuff and then you choose 3 minutes of best material.

What was it like working and living with Radosław and Dandris? What are they like? 

Of course in the beginning we were strengers to each other so we had to learn how to live together under one roof, but after a very short time I can now say that we are really good friends, and I  miss them also very much, great people.

Roadtrip!
What was the most challenging thing you had to do with Ylvis? 

Putting on this very tight striped shirt during "the charades” on the live show. I was so not happy with it. I hate tight clothing. 1400 people was watching live and even more on TV.

What was the most fun thing you did?  

Its hard to point out one... But there is a funny story behind "Moro I Mørket” where Ylvis and Ylvek had to clean up after a drunken party in total darkness. Just 5 minutes before we started recording, Callek saw in the corridor a woman standing with a metal cage. Inside it was a rat, so he told us that probably in the next prank Magnus will use that rat and others wild animals. When we were already in darkness, Radosław also said that something bit him in the washer machine. Then Callek said that there must be lobster on the table because also he got bitten, so when I heard them screaming I was sure that on the table were also snakes, cockroaches, worms and hedgehogs.  We were really scared during filming. When the light went back on and I saw table content, I couldn't believe how stupid I was.

What was it like filming two men in one suit?

2 men in 1 suit was so hard to do but still super fun. Walking with Radosław was so hard for both of us. To maintain balance inside the suit I had to lean forward and Radosław had to lean backward. We both felt that we will fall. Inside the suit was so hot. I am glad Radosław is straight, otherwise that would be a little more chellenging.  

Were you embarrassed by doing those pranks?

In the beginning I was asking myself what the hell was I thinking, in this age (35) with my physique, I am not typical tv-star material! I wasn't embarrassed to do pranks, not at all.  But to tell you the truth, I was embarrassed of myself being an overweight cop. I always had a weight problem, all my life struggle with that.

Did you film any pranks or segments that were not shown on I kveld med Ylvis?

I did an intelevator prank and also a prank with small cars and a huge horn. Callek did something with a stick and pedestrians, but I wasn't there so I don't know the details.

I kveld med Ylvek (source)

How much did you rehearse for the live show?

Really not that much, but I guess it was enough. We started rehearsal Tuesday 11:00 am.

What was it like learning the dance and working with choreographer Thea?

She is so nice, smart, very talented, beautiful, great sense of humor, very patient.  Dancing is her life. I also think she is the kind of person who would never harm even a fly. Really she is a perfect package, miss her too.

What was the live show day like? What happened during that day? Were you or the others nervous?

We all where very nervous, even Radosław who works as an actor in Poland, and Lukasz who is a music television presenter 4FunTV. The night before the show we couldn't sleep. We went to bed 3:00-4:00  in the morning.

Did everything go according to plan with the show?

Yes, we didn't have any suprises. Beside this stupid tight stripes shirt hahahahaha...

The stripes were cool, Jacek (source: Jacek Czaja)

Did you learn any Norwegian during your stay?

Unfortunately we really didn't have much time for that. I only learned a few words: tenk fort, tusen takk, flass, spedbarn.

Are there any funny anecdotes you’d like to tell us about working with Ylvis and Ylvek or about your time in Norway?

Viewers probably don't realise but Ylvek got information about what we will do for the next prank exactly 5 minutes before filming. We never knew what we should be wearing or what to prepare for.  So every day was very exiting and a little stressful for us, but it was good and positive stress. And we always had fresh clean underwear, just in case hahaha...

The Future


Would you like to work with Ylvis again? Are there any plans?

Absolutely not!!! .... Just kidding, of course I would like to see those ugly faces again. Plans? You know Ylvis, they never say anything too early, so I guess we have to wait and see.

What would be your dream thing to do with Ylvis or Ylvek? 

The dream come true would be to make a music video together, and of course to make some more pranks and maybe try one more live show? You see for me personall , this whole thing is very important because back at home I am just a regular nobody, a simple guy who lives in small shitty city, but I always wanted to be somebody. Being in this project gives me an opportunity to make an imprint of my existance in the history and become somebody.

A star is born (source: Jacek Czaja, desirestudio.pl)
Has this experience changed you in some way?

Yes, I am more confident, I feel much better about myself now. Also friends and colleagues respect me much more now.  I think I have proven to them that you should never judge the book by its cover.

What are your future plans? Are you going back to work with the police, or would you like to pursue entertainment? Or perhaps something completely different?

I am definitely done with the police force, but strictly from personal reasons. I would like to move abroad, work on construction or maybe something else. I am a licensed welder and a gravemaskin operator. My dream destination is Norway.  I really fell in love with that country. I hope some day it will come true.

What do you think about Ylvis/Ylvek fans? What would you like to tell them?

I can only tell them that they are wonderful! Awewsome! Really great! Every idol dreams about fans like that, seriously great people!

Thanks for everything, for being fans not only for Ylvis but also for their twin brothers from Ylvek. Love U all.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti